Preparation :- Chana Dal
To make Chana Dal:
- Pick and rinse the chana dal well in running water. soak the dal in enough water for an hour.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder. add 2.5 to 3 cups water and stir well.
- On a high flame, pressure cook the lentils for 7 to 8 whistles or more, till the dal is softened and well cooked. keep the cooked chana dal aside.
- In another pan, heat oil or ghee.
- Then add the garlic and fry till they become light brown.
- Now add the onions and fry till they get golden.
- Now add the tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
- Stir and add all the dry spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida, dry mango powder and coriander powder.
- Saute till the tomatoes get cooked and the oil starts to leave the side of the mixture.
- Add the kasoori methi and stir.
- Stir and simmer the dal for 6-8 minutes till you get medium consistency of the dal. the dal is neither thick nor thin.
- Garnish chana dal with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the chana dal hot with some basmati rice or rotis or bread.
Ingredients For Chana Dal:
- ¾ cup chana dal/bengal gram
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp turmeric/haldi
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder or add as required
- 1 tsp kasoori methi/dry methi leaves
- About pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- A few coriander/cilantro leaves for mixing towards the end or garnishing