Preparation :- Masoor-Dal
To make Masoor-Dal:
- Pick and rinse the lentils, if you have time you can soak the lentils for some 30-40 minutes.
- or else just pressure cook the lentils with 2.5 to 3 cups water till they are cooked soft.
- Heat oil for tempering the dal in the pan.
- fry the cumin first. then add the onions.
- now fry till the onions are browned, this is an important step in making this dal.
- you have to brown the onions as the browning gives a lot of flavor and taste to the dal.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or till the raw aroma of ginger garlic disappears.
- add the tomatoes and green chilli and fry again for a few minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
- finally add all the dry powders, except garam masala powder and kasuri methi. mix well.
- now add this mixture to the cooked masoor or add the masoor dal to the tempering... whatever suits you. mix well and add salt.
- simmer the dal on a low or medium flame. if the dal is too thick then add some hot water to get the right consistency.
- mash some dal with your ladle or spoon at the sides of the pan. this is done to get a creamier consistency.
- finally add the cream, punjabi garam masala powder and crushed kasuri methi. stir. switch off the burner.
- the masoor dal is ready to be served with some basmati rice or rotis.
- garnish the masoor dal with kasuri methi or cream or chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients For Masoor-Dal:
- 1 cup whole masoor dal
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp ginger -garlic paste or crushed ginger -garlic (adrak-lahsun paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ tsp punjabi qaram masala powder or regular garam masala powder
- 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2-3 tbsp cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- A few chopped coriander leaves or some crushed kasuri methi or cream for garnishing
- salt as required