Preparation :- Urad Dal Puris
To make Urad Dal Puris:
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal with enough water in a deep bowl for 2 to 3 hours. Drain completely.
- or else just pressure cook the lentils with 2.5 to 3 cups water till they are cooked soft.
- Combine the urad dal and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the urad dal paste to a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and knead into a soft dough without using any water.
- Cover the dough with the lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Grease the rolling board lightly with the oil and roll each portion into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thick circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, deep-fry, a few puris, at a time till it puff-up or turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Serve immediately with the subzi of your choice.
Ingredients For Masoor-Dal:
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste